Matthew Li - Demetrius

Name:
Matthew Li

Age:
15

School:
HKUGA College

Past experience:
Tybalt in Romeo & Juliet, Gossebery/Wall in A Midsummer Night's Dream (Shakespeare4All)


Fun fact:
I haven’t acted in 4 years, so I hope I’m not rusty.

How are you enjoying this production?
I haven’t acted in 4 years, and I came back because I like drama. Maybe this love comes from my parents. Acting brings me into a different world. I am not a different person necessarily but I do get to try a different lifestyle, a different way of life.

What is your role and how would you describe your character ?  
I play Demetrius, a military man. It’s all about honour and responsibility for him, but on the relationship side he is a but messy. He has a relationship with Helena, dumps her, and then falls in love with Hermia. Of course there are some reasons: Hermia’s father is Egeus, the general, and maybe I can be promoted sooner if I’m his son-in-law. 

Is it a difficult character to handle?
I try to melt into the character and integrate with him. I try to be the character. In real life, there are people who are exactly like this, and I just try to be them.

Does that mean you have had similar experiences as Demetrius?
I’ve been single since I was born and I’ve never been in any relationship. 

Doesn’t that make the role challenging, when Demetrius’ love life is so fulfilling?
I’ve played a lover before, so it’s not the first time…so I hope I will be capable of being in love…in the show.

My favourite character is…
Of course myself, Demetrius! A military man is cool, and in those days, they ruled Hong Kong. They were really well respected, and they enjoyed a lot of social status.

My most beautiful dream is…
It’s a rather typical guy’s dream, the kind that when you wake you feel like the world is in the palm of your hands. The kind of life an emperor enjoys, where I can control everything and at night I go home to a good wife.

On a midsummer night I…  
Sleep. 

What is love to you?
Love is at first just a feeling. And when the relationship is confirmed, it’s a promise, a commitment that we need to nurture and fulfill. 

(AFTEC: But Matthew insisted that he has no idea whether he will be a responsible boyfriend!)

No comments:

Post a Comment